As you and my two other visitors (including Googlebot) might have noticed, I changed the look of the site. The old “Blix”:http://www.kingcosmonaut.de/blix/ theme I’ve been using for the past two years was beginning to look a little dated, and I also seemed to bump into blogs using it more and more frequently, so it was time to go looking for a new WordPress theme.
I began digging through the gazillion free themes available, but the good looking themes are also very popular (duh!) and I wanted something a little less common, so I ended up buying a “semi-unique” theme from “Template Monster”:http://www.templatemonster.com/ that looked nice on their demo site, but when installed on my blog didn’t work very well. In fact I doubt they’ve ever run it on a WordPress installation with some real data. So I spent a couple of evenings fixing the CSS and PHP, before deciding to cut my losses (it was only $50 anyways) and find another theme.
I ended up deciding on the “ScribbishWP Theme”:http://pittcrew.net/geekblog/scribbishwp, which all the cools kids seem to be using these days. It’s a port of Scribbish for “Typo”:http://typosphere.org/, a blogging engine built with Ruby on Rails–so it smells a little like Rails, without the pain of installing and running Typo. I happen to like green, so I changed the original reddish colors to green. That’s how far my design skills go.