My new “MacBook Pro”:http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/ finally arrived last Friday. Here are my first experiences from life on the other side:
* *Last Friday*: Unpacking, installing essential software. Everything just works?!
* *Saturday and Sunday*: Installing more software, moving all my work-related files over. Had some great laughs with the famliy while playing with “iSight and Photo Booth”:http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/isight.html. “Front Row”:http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/frontrow.html rocks. No troubles yet — it just freakin’ works! I’m slowly realizing how much I’ve gotten used to software _not_ working.
* *Monday*: First day working with the MBP. Had the old Windows laptop in the bag, just in case. Didn’t need it, though. “OS X”:http://www.apple.com/macosx/ found the office network-printer all by itself, it just showed in the list of printers. Way to go!
* *Tuesday*: Left the Windows laptop at home. The co-workers might be a little tired by now of me showing something oh-so-cool, every 10 minutes. Frederik mentioned the MBP looks awfully nice together with the Fritz Hansen table and the Arne Jacobsen chairs in the conference room.
* *Wednesday*: I decided to retire my almost new and very buggy Windows Mobile powered “Qtek phone”:http://www.qtek.nu/europe/products/8310.aspx, and replace it with a Sony Ericsson from Apple’s list of “supported Bluetooth phones”:http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html. Need I mention that Bluetooth syncing just works perfectly? Also today Apple released “Boot Camp”:http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/. I installed Windows XP and in an odd way it feelt like I did something terribly wrong, so I decided to only set aside 5 gigs of diskspace for Windows. I’d still prefer “VMware”:http://www.vmware.com/ or something “similar”:http://www.parallels.com/, over dual booting.
* *Thursday*: I “migrated over my Outlook calendar and contacts”:http://www.littlemachines.com/ in preparations for completely retiring the Windows laptop. Finally figured out that there’s a “prerelease build of Firefox 18.104.22.168”:http://wiki.mozilla.org/Mac:intel available as a universal binary know as “Deer Park”:http://www.mozilla.org/projects/deerpark/ and it’s way faster than the PPC build of Firefox 22.214.171.124. I was actually a bit disappointed by the speed of the MBP, as I spend a great deal of time in Firefox, but not after installing Deer Park, yay!
* *This Friday*: Blogging about the past week…